9 August, 2019
Posted in : Main Dish on by : Maya Tags: chicken, couscous, garlic, onion, tomato, white wine
This is a quick weekday or holiday dinner. Put all the ingredients in the oven and let the flavours develop whether in the oven or on the stove top.
Fresh, good quality tomatoes are perfect for this recipe. If you have any that are on the edge of being overripe, that’s a perfect use for them. In the absence of very good tomatoes use canned ones, they will be better than fresh, tasteless cheap ones.
Serve with coucous. You can even cook the couscous in the sauce instead of water, that actually brings the dish to the next level. Or eat with fresh baguette dipping it in the sauce. That works perfectly especially if you have some French one.
Category Main Dish
1 hour, 30 minutes
1 hour, 50 minutes
- 2 kg chicken tights
- 2 kg fresh tomatoes or a large can of tomatoes (800g)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup dry, white wine
- fresh herbs: basil, oregano, thyme or dried ones, herbs de Provence will also do
- salt, pepper
- oil olive
- In a large pot heat some olive oil and sear the chicken on each side until the skin is nicely brown. You may need to do this in batches.
- Remove the chicken and add the onions and garlic. Cook until translucent.
- Add back the chicken, add the wine, salt, pepper and half the fresh herbs (or all the dried herbs).
- Cook around an hour and a half either on the stove top on medium heat or in the oven at 180°C, until the chicken is starting to fall apart.
- Serve with the rest of fresh herbs, couscous or fresh baguette.
© 2023 © www.maya-cooks.com