1 May, 2018
White asparagus soup
I know people who like asparagus, but I had to go to Holland to see that asparagus is almost a religion there (when in season). This is where I had an amazing, home made soup made by Ans (who is almost my some kind of distant family of mine). The soup was so wonderful that I keep hoping that Ans will invite me to her place again to let me devour this rare specialty of hers. And maybe the peanut sauce too, but that’s a different story.
This is a very different take on the traditional soup, using vegetable (oatmeal) ‘milk’, which I discovered recently and which works perfect with cream soups. My take on the soup includes several ingredients bringing additional flavors (hazelnut oil, young garlic, parsley), but the simple version without them will also be great. Just as long as you are using fresh asparagus, this soup is always a success.
- 1 kg white asparagus (fresh)
- 0.5 l oatmeal 'milk'
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves fresh, young garlic (optional)
- 4 table spoons hazelnut oil (or olive oil)
- 4 table spoons hazelnuts, chopped and roasted (optional)
- 1 table spoon fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 vegetable stock cube (or just salt and pepper)
- Cut (or break off) the asparagus' ends. Wash and peel them with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut off the tops and steam them for around 5-6 minutes until soft.
- Chop the rest of asparagus, place in a pot, cover with water and cook for around 12-15 minutes until soft. Do not throw away the water from cooking.
- In the meantime heat 2 tbs hazelnut (or olive) oil in another pot and cook the onion and garlic (if you are using it) until translucent.
- Add the oatmeal 'milk', cooked asparagus and vegetable stock cube to the onions and cook until it boils.
- Using an immersion blender mix the soup until smooth. Add around 200-300 ml water from cooking the asparagus (depending on how liquid you like your soup).
- Pour the soup into bowls, add to each bowl some steamed asparagus tops, hazelnuts, parsley and a teaspoon of hazelnut (or olive) oil.